2017-2018 College Catalog 
    Jul 21, 2024  
2017-2018 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Admissions Office

Three Rivers Community College
574 New London Turnpike
Norwich, CT 06360
Phone: (860) 215-9016
Email: admissions@threerivers.edu
Visit:  www.threerivers.edu/enroll

Three Rivers Community College has an open enrollment admissions policy. Applications for enrollment are accepted year round for the fall, spring, summer and winter sessions. Additional information on how to enroll, including requirements for enrollment, are described in this catalog under the How To Enroll section below. Applications for enrollment are also available at all high school guidance offices in the College’s service area and at the College’s off site office located at the Naval Submarine Base in Groton Connecticut.

Admission to the Nursing, Associate in Science degree is selective and governed by special admissions criteria as described in the admissions section of this catalog under Connecticut Community Colleges Nursing Program.

How to Enroll

Degree or Certificate Students

Step 1:  Enroll in a Degree or Certificate Program

Enroll for the Fall and Spring semesters and Summer and Winter Sessions. Please be sure to complete your application at least two weeks before the semester or session begins. Your acknowledgment and acceptance letters will be sent to the email address you provide.

Three Ways To Enroll

  • Online

A credit/debit card is required (as well as a valid email) to complete the online application. However, former Three Rivers students or applicants of any Connecticut Community College do not need to pay the $20 application fee.

Three Rivers online application

International Students: refer to the International Student Application Process

  • By Mail

Download the enrollment application and view our degree and certificate programs including the enrollment steps at: www.threerivers.edu/enroll.

Mail to:

Admissions Office
Three Rivers Community College
574 New London Turnpike
Norwich, CT 06360

  • In-Person

If you need help completing your application, please come to the Admissions Office/Welcome Center. You can complete an enrollment application in person or Download the enrollment application and view our degree and certificate programs including the enrollment steps at: www.threerivers.edu/enroll.

Check the Three Rivers events page to see any upcoming enrollment events.  Also, check our Hours, Important Dates and Contacts.

Step 2: Apply For Financial Aid

Students are strongly encouraged to complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) using the Three Rivers Community College school code “009765”. The first step is to create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. Your FSA ID is made up of your user name and password and is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information. After completing your FSA ID, you can complete the financial aid application at: www.FAFSA.ed.gov. Seven days after completing this process, contact the Three Rivers Financial Aid Office at (860) 215-9040 or log into www.my.commnet.edu to find out your eligibility status. Instructions for logging into myCommNet will be provided with your emailed acceptance letter. For more information on creating a FSA ID and completing your FASFA application, please visit our Financial Aid website.

Recommended Financial Aid Deadline - to be eligible for maximum grant aid is May 1.

Step 3: Submit Supporting Documentation

  • Proof of high school completion or equivalent - Required for students seeking a degree or certificate, as well as students applying for financial aid. Submit a copy of your high school transcript with graduation date (required only if you graduated within the last 5 years), high school diploma, General Education Diploma (GED) certificate or State High School Equivalency diploma. High school seniors should request from their guidance counselors that a copy of their current transcript be sent to TRCC to assist in course placement. The final transcript should be sent after graduation. Once an applicant has submitted official transcripts from another school, they become the property of the College and will not be returned to the student. This applies even if the applicant does not enroll.
  • Immunization requirements - Connecticut State Law requires all full-time and part-time matriculating (degree and certificate seeking) students born after 1956, and enrolled in post-secondary school to provide proof of adequate immunization against measles, mumps and rubella; and varicella (chicken pox) for those born in the United States after 1979, and for all those born outside the United States. Students must have two doses of each vaccine administered at least one month apart with the first dose given on or after the first birthday. For more information on the State Immunization Policy, including exemptions from this requirement, refer to the State Immunization Policy Form (pdf).

NOTE: Three Rivers recommends that you provide us with these documents at the time of application, but we can begin the admission process if these items are still pending.  However, all documentation must be received before you will be permitted to register for classes.

  • Course Placement for English and/or math - Course Placement is a multiple measures assessment of basic skills in English and mathematics. Assessment for course placement may be necessary to help advisors assess readiness for college-level classes and assist in selecting appropriate courses.

Every incoming student is assessed for math and English skills, which may be evaluated in several ways:

  • Accuplacer Placement Test: all new, first-time students are required to complete this test.

  • SAT and/or ACT scores (optional): if you took these tests, your scores will be included for placement consideration.

  • High school transcript: all students who graduated high school within the last five years must provide their transcript.

  • Prior college courses: documentation of previously earned college-level credits may fulfill your requirement.

Learn more about our Testing Center.

NOTE: Multiple measures course placement assessments and prerequisite courses help to maintain the integrity of the level of instruction in the classroom. Applicants who lack the necessary math or English backgrounds may enroll with the understanding that they will take advantage of the college’s developmental courses in math and English prior to pursuing the curricular of their chosen programs.

STEP 4: Register For Classes

Registration Deadline - Registration ends the day before the semester or session begins.

Detailed information on the course registration process will be provided in your acceptance letter.

  • New, First-Time college students - After placement testing, students are invited to meet with an academic advisor to register for their first semester and learn about our degree programs and strategies for college success.Transfer or Readmitted college students (those who have previously attended college) will meet with an advisor to review previous college work and select classes.
  • Transfer/Readmitted students should bring copies of their prior college transcripts in order to facilitate the registration process.

After registering for their initial semester at TRCC, degree-seeking transfer students should have their official college transcripts sent to the Registrar’s Office for an official transfer credit evaluation and to add these classes to their TRCC transcript.

Payment of fees is expected at the time of registration. Total tuition owed is payable by the payment date deadline specified by the college each semester. Your official financial aid award can be applied as payment. Payment plans are available if you register for 6 or more credits. Contact the Cashier’s Office at (860) 215-9026 for more information.

Note: Students seeking readmission who have been on academic or disciplinary suspension should refer to the General Academic Information section of this catalog.

Back to Top

Visiting or Non-Degree Students

You are a visiting or non-degree student if you are interested in enrolling in a credit course(s) at TRCC, but are not interested in pursuing a degree or certificate program here. Also, you are a visiting or non-degree student if you are taking a course at TRCC to transfer the credit to another college. You can enroll following the above enrollment steps, or if you live out of the area, use the Combined Application and Registration Form under Additional Information if you are a Visiting or Non-Degree Student at www.threerivers.edu/enroll.

You will need to provide proof of completing any prerequisite required for the course(s) you select; these prerequisites are listed in the course descriptions.

Applicants admitted as non-degree students may subsequently become degree candidates by complying with the degree seeking student requirements and completing a Program Change form available from our website or from the Admissions Office/Welcome Center.

At Three Rivers, non-degree students generally include students pursuing credit courses for personal interest or skill development for career advancement, college students that are home for the summer, students fulfilling requirements for other colleges, and senior citizens.

Non-degree students may be required to take a placement test or provide additional course placement criteria. Information about registering for classes is sent to new non-degree students with their acceptance letter. The acceptance letter is sent to the email address that the student provides on the Application to the College. Non-degree students must provide proof of immunization when they register for 12 or more credits in a semester. For more information on the State Immunization Policy, including exemptions from this requirement, refer to the State Immunization Policy Form (pdf).

NOTE: Non-Degree students are not eligible for Financial Aid.

Back to Top

International Student Application Process

If you are applying for a student visa (F1), please complete the following procedures at least six weeks in advance of the semester in which you wish to enroll. Special circumstances may be considered on an individual basis. 

Please submit the following documents to the Admissions office:

  • Download the enrollment application and view our degree and certificate programs including the enrollment steps at: www.threerivers.edu/enroll.
  • Proof of High School Graduation: Attach a copy of the original diploma that certifies high school graduation. A translation or statement of educational equivalency by an authorized official or service may be necessary.
  • Immunization: Please refer to the State Immunization Policy Form (pdf) for detailed information on this requirement.
  • English Proficiency: Three Rivers does not provide qualified intensive English as a Second Language instruction. For this reason, all international F-1 students must have sufficient proficiency in English to allow them to enroll in a full-time program. All new students are required to take a computerized placement test to assess basic skills in English and mathematics and demonstrate English proficiency. If you are not currently in the United States (U.S.), a TOEFL (IBT79) or IELTS (6) score is required. Learn more about our Testing Center.

International Student Expenses

Students living with a sponsor, provide a notarized affidavit of support by a sponsor who is a United State (U.S.) citizen or permanent resident stating that he or she will assume responsibility for room, board, and usual and emergency expenses. If you depend on funds from a source outside the United States, it may be necessary to determine if restrictions exist. Submit copies of bank statements certifying that sufficient funds are available to cover your tuition, fees, and books for at least one year.

Students living independently, provide proof of your ability to cover educational and living expenses in U.S. currency. Submit copies of bank statements certifying that sufficient funds are available to cover your tuition, fees, and books for at least one year.

Applicants for a student F-1 visa should refer to the following International student web page for more information: www.threerivers.edu/international or contact the Admissions Office at (860) 215-9237.

Student Resource - The following page provides information on how to study in the United States and how to maintain your visa status:  http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/

  • Please Note

    • Three Rivers Community College does not have dormitories available for students.  Students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements.

    • Foreign Students on Student Visas do not qualify for Financial Aid.

    • Foreign Students on Student Visas are required to enroll in a full-time program of study each semester.

Back to Top

Connecticut Community College Nursing Program

Students seeking admission to the Three Rivers Community College Nursing Program must fulfill nursing admission criteria to qualify for this selective admission program. This criteria, in addition to the general admission policies of the college can be found in the Nursing Information Packet.

The application period for the nursing program is November 1 - February 1 each year. All CT-CCNP applicants must complete the online nursing program application and submit all related documentation to the Admissions Office at the College of First Choice by the February 1st deadline. The “College of First Choice” is the college that the applicant would most like to attend. www.ct.edu/academics/nursing#apply

Prospective nursing applicants are strongly encouraged to attend a nursing information session to learn more about this selective admission program. For upcoming sessions visit the college website at: www.threerivers.edu/nursing-admissions.

All documents regarding nursing admissions should be addressed to:

Nursing Admissions
Three Rivers Community College
574 New London Turnpike
Norwich, CT 06360

(860) 215-9056

Email: nursingadmissions@threerivers.edu

Back to Top

Early Admission Students

High school students can be accepted for early admission and may also participate in the High School Partnership program and the College Careers Pathways (Tech Prep) program through their local high school.Three Rivers’ Admissions Director can provide information on High School Partnerships and the college program coordinators work with participating high school counseling offices.

1. High School Partnership Students

High school juniors and seniors attending schools participating in the High School Partnership Program are required to submit a special application available at participating high school guidance offices. Priority is given to high school seniors. Students are required to submit a current high school transcript and take a Placement Test in order to demonstrate ability to succeed in a college level course. Course selections are determined by placement test scores, SAT or ACT test scores (if available) and a review of your high school transcript. 

Eligible students may enroll in one credit course in the designated fall or spring semester on a space available basis. Scholarships cover the cost of tuition, college service fee and student activity fee only. Special fees, such as course lab fee and art studio fee, book/supplies and transportation are the student’s responsibility.  To determine if a high school participates in this program and to learn about other opportunities, interested students should call the Admissions Office at (860) 215-9237.

2. College Career Pathways Students

The College Career Pathway program (CCP) is a concurrent, or dual enrollment program administered by Three Rivers Community College (TRCC).  Students gain exposure to the academic challenges of college while in their supportive high school environment, earning college credit at the time they successfully pass the course.  Concurrent enrollment also facilitates close collaboration between high school teachers and college faculty that fosters alignment of secondary and post-secondary curriculum.  The CCP program allows credits you earn in high school to be applied toward your college education.  These college credits can be applied toward a program of study at TRCC OR another college or university.

CCP courses are taught during the regular high school day by qualified high school teachers who have been certified as adjunct instructors for TRCC by corresponding academic departments. CCP courses taught by high school instructors are as rigorous as the TRCC on-campus counterpart.  TRCC and each high school collaborate to ensure the content, assignments and assessments of CCP Courses are the same as courses offered on the TRCC campus. CCP students become a TRCC student once enrolled in a CCP course at their high school.  As such, CCP students are given access to all college supports such as the Donald R. Welter Library, the tutoring center and fitness centers. For further information please contact the CCP program office at 860-215-9297 or visit The College Career Pathways website.

3. Early Admission Student 

Select students from area high schools and/or home schooled students may be enrolled in credit courses at Three Rivers prior to graduating high school. A letter of recommendation from your school counselor or principal is required, as well as demonstration of academic ability and personal maturity. Placement testing and all course prerequisites must be satisfied.

Back to Top

First Year Experience Course 

Many of TRCC’s programs of study require new and/or first-time college students to take the First Year Experience course (IDS K105 ) in the first or second semester of their college program, or before attaining 12 credits. This course is designed to engage students as active participants within the college environment. Students will have the opportunity to acquire academic skills, attributes, awareness of self as a learner, and to engage with the resources and activities within the Three Rivers Community College community.

Admission to English as a Second Language Courses

English as a Second Language (ESL) courses at Three Rivers Community College are designed to serve the needs of non-native speakers of English who have already attained basic fluency in English. These courses have been developed to enhance students’ fluency in English. Students are placed in these courses through multiple measures assessment including placement test scores and an essay.

Admission to Developmental Courses and Courses with Embedded Support

These courses are designed to help students whose academic skills need development before they take required courses in their plan of study. Students needing skill development in mathematics or English courses are required to complete specific courses determined by multiple measures assessment.

Back to Top

Veterans and Reservists Educational Benefits

  1. Veterans and other students eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits must complete the College’s application procedures for degree or certificate programs. In addition, such students MUST contact the VA Representative, Terri DeBarros at (860) 215-9235 or tdebarros@threerivers.edu to complete the VA’s application form. Those students who have served on active duty must also submit copies of their separation papers (DD214). Reservists eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606 and 1607) must contact the College VA Representative and supply the Notice of Basic Eligibility form in order to file for benefits.

    See the Tuition and Fees Information section for specific dates and times of service to determine eligibility. Connecticut tuition waiver may apply to some veterans. You do not have to be in a degree or certificate program if you are only going to use the tuition waiver. Married veterans who are eligible for Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits and have remaining entitlement from old GI Bill (Chapter 34) benefits must have their marriage certificate and birth certificates of any children certified by either the Veterans Administration or the College VA Representative. Spouses and dependents who will be receiving transferred benefits under the Post 911 GI Bill, MUST also contact the VA Representative to complete the process.

    Since Veterans Administration benefits only cover courses which do not replicate any previously earned credits, students receiving VA benefits must have their official military and/or educational transcripts submitted for an evaluation of Military Learning.
  2. Vocational Rehabilitation - For information, students should contact the Veterans Administration in Newington, CT at 800-827-1000
  3. Veteran’s Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 provides the following students eligibility for in-state tuition.

    * A Veteran who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

    * A spouse or child using transferred benefits who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within 3 years of the transferee’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

    * A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the Service member’s  death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

    * For more information please visit www.benefits.va.gov

We are a Veteran Friendly Campus! Visit Three Rivers at: www.threerivers.edu/veterans-2

Military Friendly School 2017 Award

Back to Top

Students with Disabilities 

Three Rivers Community College welcomes students with disabilities and strives to make their college experience successful. Students with documented disabilities have access to academic adjustments in accordance with all state and federal laws. Disclosure of a disability is voluntary. The link to the confidential disabilities disclosure form is provided to all newly admitted students in their emailed Acceptance letter or at our Accessibility Services website. Submission of this confidential disabilities disclosure form and appropriate documentation will start the eligibility process. Elevators are available and special parking areas and entrances are conveniently located near the elevators.

Services for students with disabilities are coordinated through the Counseling Center.

Phone: (860) 215-9017
Location: Room A-113

Back to Top

Regional Student Program of the New England Board of Higher Education [RSP/NEBHE] 

Each New England State admits qualified out-of-state New England residents to its public, degree-granting two-year colleges providing that the students are eligible by either of the following rules:

Rule 1: When a degree or certificate program is not offered at an in-state institution, a qualified student may enroll at any participating out-of-state institution offering that program.

Rule 2: When a degree or certificate program is offered at both in-state and out-of-state institutions, and the out-of-state institution is closer in traveling time to a qualified student’s legal residence, then the student may enroll out-of-state. Upon admission into a degree or certificate program at Three Rivers, qualified out-of-state students pay the in-state tuition plus a 50 percent surcharge. Additional information about the program may be obtained from the Three Rivers Admissions Office or from the New England Board of Higher Education, 45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111; 617-357-9620
Fax: 617-338-1577, or from the following website: www.nebhe.org/tuitionbreak

Back to Top

Public Disclosure

Student Right-To-Know Act

This page contains links to information reportable and disclosable under the Higher Education Act pf 1965 (HEA), as amended by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA).


Back to Top

Notice of Nondiscrimination

Title IX (Discussion, Reporting Process)

“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” This applies to recruitment, admissions, counseling, financial aid, academic access, discipline, single-sex education, athletics, and employment.

“Also, a recipient may not retaliate against any person for opposing an unlawful educational practice or policy, or making charges, testifying or participating in any complaint action under Title IX” (US DoEd).

The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:

Edward Derr, Title IX Coordinator and Diversity Officer, Three Rivers Community College, 574 New London Turnpike, Norwich, CT 06360 (860) 215-9255 or ederr@threerivers.edu.

Back to Top