2019-2020 College Catalog 
    Dec 08, 2021  
2019-2020 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration & Records


Visit http://www.trcc.commnet.edu/Div_StudentServices/Registrar/Registrar.shtml

Registration Procedures

All students must be admitted to Three Rivers Community College in order to register for classes. Students should go to www.trcc.commnet.edu and click the “Registrar” link under the “Student Services” menu option to find registration dates, a link to the schedule of classes, and specific registration procedures and policies.

New Students: For students who are attending college for the first time, course registration will take place after meeting with Advising staff.  Advising staff will assess multiple factors, such as high school transcripts and placement test scores, in order to determine course placement.  See the Admissions  section for more details. 

Transfer and Re-admitted Students: Transfer and readmitted students will meet with an advisor before registration.  Students should bring test scores, unofficial transcripts, and/or grade reports of previous work to this meeting in order to register for classes at that time. Official copies of transcripts should also be sent directly to the Registrar’s Office as soon as possible.

Continuing Students: Students enrolled in a degree program who have attended TRCC within the last two years may register online or in person during the Continuing Student Registration period, as defined on our Academic Calendar.  Before a student may register for their second semester, they must meet with their assigned advisor.  All students are encouraged to seek advisement whenever needed.  TRCC also offers an electronic degree evaluation tool (“Degree Works”) accessible through my.commnet.edu, which may be used to assist students with course selection and graduation requirements.  Please see the “Registrar” link under the “Student Services” menu option on our extranet page (www.trcc.commnet.edu) to access times, locations, and other information regarding registration. 

Degree Candidate (Matriculated Student) - A Degree Candidate is a student who is in a plan of study at Three Rivers which, upon successful completion, will result in the award of either an associate degree or a certificate of completion.  Degree Candidates qualify for Early Registration and are eligible to apply for financial aid. 

Non-Degree Student (Non-Matriculated) - A student who is enrolled on a course-by-course basis and is not in a degree or certificate seeking program at Three Rivers is considered a Non-Degree student.

Both matriculated and non-matriculated students may register for full-time (minimum of 12 credits per semester) or part-time (maximum of 11.5 credits per semester) enrollment.

Full-time students must meet College Immunization Requirements. See the Admissions  section for specific immunization requirements.

Auditing Courses

A student who wishes to take a credit course without earning credit may register to audit the course.  Audit requests must be submitted by a specific date in the fourth week in the semester.  Students who elect to audit may not reverse this choice at a later point.  Auditors are charged regular tuition and fees but do not receive a final letter grade.  Auditors attend class regularly but graded activities such as exams are limited.  Audited courses are shown on a student’s transcript with a grade of “AU.”  Students are not eligible to receive financial aid, Veteran Benefits, or Tuition Assistance for audited courses.  Please check the Academic Caledar for the specific Audit deadline. 

Schedule Changes - Dropping and Adding Courses

Specific dates for semester and module courses are on the Academic Calendar Fall 2019 - Summer 2020    .

Adding Courses

Registered students may add courses in person through the first week of the spring and fall semesters, provided there is an opening in the desired class, and the student meets course prerequisites, where applicable.

Dropping Courses

Courses dropped in the Add/Drop period will not appear on the student’s transcript.  Students may drop courses online or in person through the first week of the spring and fall semesters.  During the second week of the spring and fall semesters, students may only drop courses in person.

Withdrawing from Courses

Specific dates for semester and module courses are on the Academic Calendar Fall 2019 - Summer 2020    . 

After the last drop date, as specified on the Academic Calendar, students may withdraw from courses online or by completing the appropriate form.  Forms are available online or at the Registrar’s Office.  If you are unable to withdraw online or by submitting the withdrawal form, you may withdraw over the phone by calling the Registrar’s Office.  Please be sure to check the specific date on the Academic Calendar.  A grade of “W” will be entered for each course from which a student withdraws.  The course(s) and grade of “W” will appear on the student’s transcript, but will not affect GPA calculations. 

Note: Failure to attend class is not an acceptable method of dropping or withdrawing.  This will result in an “F” on the student’s permanent transcript.  This can seriously affect future reinstatement, transfer to another college, and/or financial aid.  Non-attendance does not cancel the financial obligation of the student to pay the fees and tuition incurred at the time of registration for classes.  Students will remain liable for any outstanding payments of tuition and fees due the College.

Registration between Connecticut Community Colleges 

The Connecticut Community Colleges and the State Universities have adopted a coordinated policy that may broaden the student’s education at a reduced total cost to the student.

  • Full-time students (those paying maximum General Fund tuition) in one Connecticut Community College, Connecticut State University, or the University of Connecticut (“Home College”) may enroll for courses at another Connecticut College (“Host College”) tuition free; if the Home College does not offer the course, and if space is available at the Host College offering the course.  At Three Rivers Community College, cross-registration begins two weeks before the first day of the semester, as defined on the Academic Calendar.
  • A student wishing to enroll in a Host College course must complete a Three Rivers Application for Admission and present a receipt at registration to show that the maximum full-time tuition was paid at the Home College.  Cross-registration does not apply to self-supporting courses (courses offered by the College without financial assistance from the government) taken in the summer session and winter intersessions.

Summer & Winter Intersession Registration 

Summer and winter intersession courses are offered at the Educational Extension Credit Program tuition rate.  These course offerings provide an opportunity for students to be flexible in their scheduling for the year which affords the opportunity to supplement individual progress toward degree completion.  Summer and winter intersession courses generally require self-support because of the intensified (shortened) schedule.   A student can enroll for a first time in either of these terms so long as they adhere to the admissions and registration deadlines as outlined on the Academic Calendar.