2021-2022 College Catalog 
    May 29, 2024  
2021-2022 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Admissions Office

Three Rivers Community College
574 New London Turnpike
Norwich, CT 06360
Phone: (860) 215-9016
Email: admissions@threerivers.edu
Visit:  www.threerivers.edu/enroll


Open Door Admissions Policy

Three Rivers Community College has an open door admissions policy. The open door admissions policy offers admission to every high school graduate or anyone holding a high school equivalency diploma (GED) without requiring Scholastic Aptitude Tests (SAT). Some programs may have special requirements. Applications accepted year-round.


Applications for enrollment are accepted year round for the fall, spring, summer and winter sessions. Additional information on how to enroll, including requirements for enrollment, are described in this catalog under the How To Enroll section below.

Admission to the Nursing, Associate in Science degree is selective and governed by special admissions criteria as described in the admissions section of this catalog under Connecticut Community Colleges Nursing Program.

How to Enroll

Degree or Certificate Students

Step 1:  Enroll in a Degree or Certificate Program

Enroll for the Fall and Spring semesters and Summer and Winter Sessions. Please be sure to complete your application at least two weeks before the semester or session begins. All communication, including your letter of acceptance is sent to the email address you provide on your application for admission. Once accepted, all college communication is sent to your community college issued emailed address.

How To Enroll

  • Online

The online application is available for first-time college students and students with prior college experience (transfer in or readmit).

A valid email is required to complete the online application which can be found by going to www.threerivers.edu/online-app.

Download the Step-by-Step Instructions for completing an Online Application.

Note: Internet Explorer is unsupported, and some features may not fully work. The most recent versions of the following browsers are supported: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Apple Safari (IOS and, macOS only)

International Students: refer to the International Student Application Process

  • In-Person

If you need help completing your application, please visit the Office of Admissions. You can complete an application in person at one of our computer stations located in room A119.

Find Out How Much We Have To Offer

Three Rivers Office of Admissions has created online meetings and events to answer your questions and provide you with the information you need. Check the Three Rivers events page to see any upcoming Information Sessions, Tours and Events.  Also, check our Hours, Important Dates and Contacts.

Step 2: Apply For Financial Aid

Students are strongly encouraged to complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) using the Three Rivers Community College school code “009765”. The first step is to create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. Your FSA ID is made up of your user name and password and is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information. After completing your FSA ID, you can complete the financial aid application at: www.FAFSA.ed.gov. Seven days after completing this process, contact the Three Rivers Financial Aid Office at (860) 215-9040 or log into my.commnet.edu to find out your eligibility status. Instructions for logging into myCommNet will be provided with your emailed acceptance letter. For more information on creating a FSA ID and completing your FASFA application, please visit our Financial Aid website.

Recommended Financial Aid Deadline - to be eligible for maximum grant aid is May 1.

Step 3: Submit Supporting Documentation

  • Proof of high school completion or equivalent - Required for students seeking a degree or certificate, as well as students applying for financial aid. Please submit a copy of your high school transcript with graduation date (required only if you graduated within the last 5 years), high school diploma, General Education Diploma (GED) certificate or State High School Equivalency diploma. High school seniors should request from their guidance counselors that a copy of their current transcript be sent to Three Rivers to assist in course placement. The final transcript should be sent after graduation. Once an applicant has submitted official transcripts from another school, they become the property of the College and will not be returned to the student. This applies even if the applicant does not enroll.
  • Immunization requirements - Connecticut State Law requires all students born after 1956 who are enrolled in a degree and certificate program to provide proof of adequate immunization against measles, mumps and rubella; and varicella (chicken pox) for those born in the United States after 1979, and for all those born outside the United States. Students must have two doses of each vaccine administered at least one month apart with the first dose given on or after the first birthday. For more information, including exemptions download and review the State Immunization Policy Form (pdf).

How to Submit Supporting Documentation

Students upload their Immunizations and Proof of HS Completion documents to their application portal or electronically from their high school’s Counseling Office using Naviance.

Note: when students upload their documents to their application portal, PDF files are the preferred file type, however, JPG & JPEG  are also acceptable. HEIC is the image format for newer Apple phones and is not an acceptable file type, as it cannot be viewed from our software.

A real time list of missing supplemental items and documents can be viewed by logging into their application portal. If theyve forgotten their password, they can reset it on the sign-in page.

NOTE: Once proof of high school completion is received (current high school transcript for high school seniors), students can move forward with their financial aid and academic advising. However, proof of Immunizations must be provided before students can register for classes.

  • Course Placement and Testing - Course Placement is a multiple measures assessment of basic skills in English and mathematics. Assessment for course placement may be necessary to help advisors assess readiness for college-level classes and assist in selecting appropriate courses.

Every incoming student is assessed for math and English skills, which may be evaluated in several ways:

  • High school transcript: all students who graduated high school within the last five years must provide their transcript. Advisors use high school math and English course levels and grades to determine appropriate course placement. In addition, advisors use unweighted high school GPA as a placement indicator.
  • SAT and/or ACT scores (optional): if students took these tests, their scores will be included for placement consideration.
  • Prior college courses: documentation of previously earned college-level credits will also assist with math and/or English course placement.
  • Accuplacer Placement Exam: The placement exam is used only in extenuating circumstances when a student does not have access to a high school transcript and/or SAT/ACT scores to determine course placement (this usually applies to home-schooled students or students who graduated from high school some time ago). Arrangements to take the Accuplacer exam will be coordinated by an advisor or the Testing Center Coordinator.

Learn more about our Testing Center.

NOTE: multiple measures course placement assessments and prerequisite courses help to maintain the integrity of the level of instruction in the classroom. Applicants who lack the necessary math or English backgrounds may enroll with the understanding that they will take advantage of the college’s developmental courses in math and English prior to pursuing the curricular of their chosen programs.

STEP 4: Register For Classes

Registration Deadline - Registration ends the day before the semester or session begins.

Detailed information on the course registration process will be provided in your acceptance letter.

  • New, First-Time college students - After receiving course placement documents and/or testing if necessary, students are invited to meet with an academic advisor to register for their first semester and learn about our degree programs and strategies for college success.
  • Transfer or Readmitted college students (those who have previously attended college) will meet with an advisor to review previous college work and select classes. Students should bring copies of their prior college transcripts in order to facilitate the registration process.

After students register for their initial semester at TRCC, degree-seeking transfer students should have their official college transcripts sent to the Registrar’s Office for an official transfer credit evaluation and to add these classes to their Three Rivers transcript.

Payment of fees is expected at the time of registration. Total tuition owed is payable by the payment date deadline specified by the college each semester. Your official financial aid award can be applied as payment. Payment plans are available if you register for 6 or more credits. Contact the Cashier’s Office at (860) 215-9026 for more information.

Note: Students seeking readmission who have been on academic or disciplinary suspension should refer to the General Academic Information section of this catalog.

Once all of the above requirements have been met, and you are ready to register, you can meet with an advisor to select courses. See Hours, Important Dates and Contacts for advising and registration hours.

Back to Top

Visiting or Non-Degree Students

You are a visiting or non-degree student if you are interested in enrolling in a credit course(s) at TRCC, but are not interested in pursuing a degree or certificate program here. Also, you are a visiting or non-degree student if you are taking a course at TRCC to transfer the credit to another college. You can enroll after creating an account and completing an Application for Admission as a non- degree seeking student.

You will need to provide proof of completing any prerequisite required for the course(s) you select; these prerequisites are listed in the course descriptions.

Applicants admitted as non-degree students may subsequently become degree candidates by complying with the degree seeking student requirements and completing a Program Change form available from our website or from the Welcome Center.

At Three Rivers, non-degree students generally include students pursuing credit courses for personal interest or skill development for career advancement, college students that are home for the summer, students fulfilling requirements for other colleges, and senior citizens.

Non-degree students may be required to take a placement test or provide additional course placement criteria. Information about registering for classes is sent to new non-degree students with their acceptance letter. The acceptance letter is sent to the email address that the student provides on the Application to the College. Non-degree students must provide proof of immunization when they register for 12 or more credits in a semester. For more information on the State Immunization Policy, including exemptions from this requirement, refer to the State Immunization Policy Form (pdf).

NOTE: Non-Degree students are not eligible for Financial Aid.

Back to Top

Online Programs

We currently offer the following fully online programs.

Online Degree Program

General Studies, A.S.

Online Certificate Program

Library Technology Certificate


To enroll in one of our online programs - General Studies, A.S. (online option) or the Library Technology Certificate, refer to the How to Enroll for Online Programs web page.

International Student Application Process

If you are applying for a student visa (F1), please complete the following procedures at least six weeks in advance of the semester in which you wish to enroll. Special circumstances may be considered on an individual basis. 

Please submit the following documents to the Admissions office:

  • Complete the online application form.
  • Proof of High School Graduation: Attach a copy of the original diploma that certifies high school graduation. A translation or statement of educational equivalency by an authorized official or service may be necessary

Credential Evaluation Services
Center of Educational Documentation (CED)
World Education Services (WES)

  • Immunization: Please refer to the Immunization Form (pdf) for detailed information on this requirement.
  • English Proficiency: Three Rivers does not provide qualified intensive English as a Second Language instruction. For this reason, all international F-1 students must have sufficient proficiency in English to allow them to enroll in a full-time program. All new students may be required to take a computerized placement test to assess basic skills in English and mathematics and demonstrate English proficiency. If you are not currently in the United States (U.S.), a TOEFL (IBT 79) or IELTS (6) score is required. Refer to the TRCC Testing Center webpage for more information on this requirement.
  • Copy of your Passport with expiration date including the attached I-94 and, if applicable, a copy of your previously issued I-20.

International Student Expenses

Students living with a sponsor, provide a notarized affidavit of support by a sponsor who is a United States (U.S.) citizen or permanent resident stating that he or she will assume responsibility for room, board, and usual and emergency expenses. If you depend on funds from a source outside the United States, it may be necessary to determine if restrictions exist. You must submit copies of bank statements certifying that sufficient funds are available to cover your tuition, fees, and books for at least one year.

Students living independently, provide proof of your ability to cover educational and living expenses in U.S. currency. Submit copies of bank statements certifying that sufficient funds are available to cover your tuition, fees, and books for at least one year.

Applicants for a student F-1 visa should refer to the following International student web page for more information: www.threerivers.edu/international or contact the Admissions Office at (860) 215-9237.

Student Resource - Study in the States provides information on how to study in the United States and how to maintain your visa status.

  • Please Note

    • Three Rivers Community College does not have dormitories available for students.  Students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements.

    • Foreign Students on Student Visas do not qualify for Financial Aid.

    • Foreign Students on Student Visas are required to enroll in a full-time program of study each semester.

Back to Top

Connecticut Community College Nursing Program

Students seeking admission to the Three Rivers Community College Nursing Program must fulfill nursing admission criteria to qualify for this selective admission program. This criteria, in addition to the general admission policies of the college can be found in the Nursing Information Packet.

The application period for the nursing program is November 1 - February 1 each year. All CT-CCNP applicants must complete the online nursing program application and submit all related documentation to the Admissions Office by the February 1st deadlinewww.ct.edu/academics/nursing#apply

Prospective nursing applicants should attend a nursing information session to learn more about this selective admission program. For upcoming sessions visit the college website at: www.threerivers.edu/nursing-admissions.

All documents regarding nursing admissions should be addressed to:

Nursing Admissions
Three Rivers Community College
574 New London Turnpike
Norwich, CT 06360

(860) 215-9237

Email: nursingadmissions@threerivers.edu

Back to Top

Early Admission Students

High school students can be accepted for Early Admission and may also participate in the High School Partnership program and the College Careers Pathways program through their local high school.

1. High School Partnership Students

High school juniors and seniors that attend a participating high school may submit an online application for consideration in the High School Partnership Program. Participation is limited and priority is given to high school seniors. To apply, students must have the support of their high school counselor and demonstrate the ability to succeed in a college level course. The following documents are required as part of the online application for High School Partnership: high school counselor recommendation; current high school transcript; parent/guardian consent form. Course selections are determined by a review of the student’s high school transcript and SAT or ACT test scores (if available).

Eligible students may enroll in one course for credit in the designated fall or spring semester on a space available basis. The scholarship covers the cost of tuition and fees. Books, supplies and transportation are the student’s responsibility.  To learn more about this program, including a link to the online application and list of participating high schools, visit www.threerivers.edu/HighSchoolPartnership.

2. College Career Pathways Students

The College Career Pathway program (CCP) is a concurrent, or dual enrollment program administered by Three Rivers Community College (TRCC).  Students gain exposure to the academic challenges of college while in their supportive high school environment, earning college credit at the time they successfully pass the course.  Concurrent enrollment also facilitates close collaboration between high school teachers and college faculty that fosters alignment of secondary and post-secondary curriculum.  The CCP program allows credits you earn in high school to be applied toward your college education.  These college credits can be applied toward a program of study at TRCC or another college or university.

CCP courses are taught during the regular high school day by qualified high school teachers who have been certified as adjunct instructors for TRCC by corresponding academic departments. CCP courses taught by high school instructors are as rigorous as the TRCC on-campus counterpart.  TRCC and each high school collaborate to ensure the content, assignments and assessments of CCP Courses are the same as courses offered on the TRCC campus. CCP students become a TRCC student once enrolled in a CCP course at their high school.  As such, CCP students are given access to all college supports such as the Donald R. Welter Library, the tutoring center and fitness centers. For further information please contact the CCP program office at 860-215-9297 or visit The College Career Pathways website.

3. Early Admission Student 

Select students from area high schools and/or home schooled students may be enrolled in credit courses at Three Rivers prior to graduating high school. A letter of recommendation from your school counselor or principal is required, as well as demonstration of academic ability and personal maturity. Placement testing and all course prerequisites must be satisfied.

Back to Top

First Year Experience Course 

Many of TRCC’s programs of study require new and/or first-time college students to take the First Year Experience course (IDS K105 ) in the first or second semester of their college program, or before attaining 12 credits. This course is designed to engage students as active participants within the college environment. Students will have the opportunity to acquire academic skills, attributes, awareness of self as a learner, and to engage with the resources and activities within the Three Rivers Community College community.

Admission to English as a Second Language Courses

English as a Second Language (ESL) courses at Three Rivers Community College are designed to serve the needs of non-native speakers of English who have already attained basic fluency in English. These courses have been developed to enhance students’ fluency in English. The ESL sequence prepares students for the Reading and Writing skills needed in future Academic courses. Students are placed in these courses through multiple measures assessment including placement test scores and an essay.

Admission to Developmental Courses and Courses with Embedded Support

These courses are designed to help students whose academic skills need development before they take required courses in their plan of study. Students needing skill development in mathematics or English courses are required to complete specific courses determined by multiple measures assessment.

Back to Top

Veterans and Reservists Educational Benefits

  1. Veterans and other students eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits must complete the College’s application procedures for degree or certificate programs. In addition, such students MUST contact one of the following VA Representatives, Donna Ramos at (860) 215-9283, dramos@threerivers.edu or Daniel Ware at (860) 215-9294, dware@threerivers.edu to find out how to complete the VA’s application form. Those students who have served on active duty must also submit copies of their separation papers (DD214). Reservists or National Guard members eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 1606 and 1607) must contact the College VA Representative and supply the Notice of Basic Eligibility form in order to file for benefits.

    See the Tuition and Fees Information section for specific dates and times of service to determine eligibility. Connecticut tuition waiver may apply to some veterans. You do not have to be in a degree or certificate program if you are only going to use the tuition waiver. Married veterans who are eligible for Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits and have remaining entitlement from old GI Bill® (Chapter 34) benefits must have their marriage certificate and birth certificates of any children certified by either the Veterans Administration or the College VA Representative. Spouses and dependents who will be receiving transferred benefits under the Post 911 GI Bill® or under Chapter 35, MUST also contact the VA Representative to complete the process.

    Since Veterans Administration benefits only cover courses which do not replicate any previously earned credits, students receiving VA benefits must have their official military and/or educational transcripts submitted for an evaluation of Military Learning.
  2. Vocational Rehabilitation - For information, students should contact the Veterans Administration in Newington, CT at 800-827-1000
  3. Veteran’s Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 provides the following students eligibility for in-state tuition.

    * A Veteran who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

    * A spouse or child using transferred benefits who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within 3 years of the transferee’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

    * A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the Service member’s  death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

    * For more information please visit www.benefits.va.gov

We are a Veteran Friendly Campus! Visit Three Rivers at: www.threerivers.edu/student-life/support-services/veterans/

Military Friendly School 21-22 logo

Back to Top

Students with Disabilities 

Three Rivers Community College welcomes students with disabilities and strives to make their college experience successful. Students with documented disabilities have access to academic adjustments in accordance with all state and federal laws. Disclosure of a disability is voluntary. The link to the confidential disabilities disclosure form is provided to all newly admitted students in their emailed Acceptance letter or at our Disability Services/Accommodations website. Submission of this confidential disabilities disclosure form and appropriate documentation will start the eligibility process. Elevators are available and special parking areas and entrances are conveniently located near the elevators.

Services for students with disabilities are coordinated through the Counseling Center.

Phone: (860) 215-9017
Location: Room A-113

Back to Top

Regional Student Program of the New England Board of Higher Education [RSP/NEBHE] 

Each New England State admits qualified out-of-state New England residents to its public, degree-granting two-year colleges providing that the students are eligible by either of the following rules:

Rule 1: When a degree or certificate program is not offered at an in-state institution, a qualified student may enroll at any participating out-of-state institution offering that program.

Rule 2: When a degree or certificate program is offered at both in-state and out-of-state institutions, and the out-of-state institution is closer in traveling time to a qualified student’s legal residence, then the student may enroll out-of-state. Upon admission into a degree or certificate program at Three Rivers, qualified out-of-state students pay the in-state tuition plus a 50 percent surcharge. Additional information about the program may be obtained from the Three Rivers Admissions Office or from the New England Board of Higher Education, 45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111; 617-357-9620
Fax: 617-338-1577, or from the following website: www.nebhe.org/tuitionbreak/

Note: NEBHE - a program for eligible Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont students. Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New York residents pay Connecticut In-State Tuition.

Back to Top

Public Disclosure

Student Consumer Information

This page contains links to information reportable and disclosable under the Higher Education Act pf 1965 (HEA), as amended by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA).


Back to Top

Notice of Nondiscrimination

Three Rivers Community College does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, genetic information, learning disability, marital status, past or present history of mental disability, intellectual disability, national origin, physical disability, race, religious creed, sex, including pregnancy, sexual harassment, transgender status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or civil union status, workplace hazards to reproductive systems, criminal record (in state employment and licensing), political beliefs, and/or veteran status. Learn more. For questions about non-discrimination, contact Leah Glende, Director of Diversity & Inclusion, CSCU System Office, 61 Woodland St, Hartford, CT 06105, (860) 723-0727, glendel@ct.edu

Three Rivers Community College strives to provide a safe and healthy environment for students, staff, and faculty. Sexual misconduct of any kind is not tolerated. If you or someone you know experiences any form of sexual misconduct, the College can provide assistance. For more information about Title IX and/or sexual misconduct, contact Maria Krug, Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Three Rivers Community College, 574 New London Turnpike Norwich, CT 06360, (860) 215-9208, MKrug@trcc.commnet.edu.

Privacy Policy | Accessibility Statement

Back to Top