2022-2023 College Catalog 
    Jul 21, 2024  
2022-2023 College Catalog

Registration & Records


Visit: https://www.trcc.commnet.edu/student-services/registrar-2/

Registration Procedures

All students must first be admitted to Three Rivers Community College in order to enroll in classes. Here is a link regarding how to register: REGISTRATION STEPS. Students in different categories (as noted herein) should heed the process and information provided below regarding registration specifics. 

Continuing Students: Those enrolled in a degree program who are currently attending (or attended TRCC within the las two years) may register online or in person during the Continuing Student Registration period, as defined on our Academic Calendar. Before a student registers, they are strongly encouraged to meet with their assigned advisor. TRCC also offers an electronic degree evaluation tool (“Degree Works”) accessible through the student portal (my.commnet.edu), which provides graduation requirements and keeps track of a student’s progress in the declared academic program.

New Students: For students who are attending college for the first time, course registration will take place after meeting with Advising staff.  Advising staff will assess multiple factors, such as high school transcripts and test scores, in order to determine course placement.  See the Admissions  section for more details. 

Transfer and Re-admitted Students: Transfer and readmitted students will usually need to meet with an advisor before registration. Students should bring test scores, unofficial transcripts, and/or grade reports of previous work to this meeting in order to register for classes at that time. Official transcripts should also be sent electronically directly to the Registrar’s Office using the transcripts@threerivers.edu email as soon as possible so TRCC can apply any potential transfer credits to the student’s record.


Degree Candidate (Matriculated Student) - A Degree Candidate is a student who is enrolled in a plan of study at Three Rivers which, upon successful completion, will result in the award of either an associate degree or a certificate of completion.  Degree Candidates qualify for Registration and are eligible to apply for financial aid.    Degree seeking students must provide proof of state required immunizations as well as proof of high school completion (a high school transcript is preferred).

Non-Degree Student (Non-Matriculated) - A student who is enrolled on a course-by-course basis and is not pursuing a degree or certificate seeking program at Three Rivers is considered a Non-Degree student.  Non-Degree Students are limited to a part-time (below 12 credits) course load each term unless granted special exception. 

Auditing Courses

A student who wishes to take a credit course without earning credit may register to audit the course.  Audit requests must be submitted by a specific date as noted in the academic calendar.  Students who elect to audit may not reverse this choice at a later point.  Auditors are charged regular tuition and fees but do not receive a final letter grade.  Auditors attend class regularly but graded activities such as exams are limited.  Audited courses are shown on a student’s transcript with a grade of “AU.”  Students are not eligible to receive financial aid, Veteran Benefits, or Tuition Assistance for audited courses.

Schedule Changes - Dropping and Adding Courses

There are specific dates in which a student may modify a class schedule for a given semester (as well as sub-term modules).  Official dates are posted each year on the college website under the heading of “academic calendar”:   www.trcc.commnet.edu.

Adding & Dropping Courses

Full-Term Courses (15 weeks): Courses can only be added only during the first seven calendar days of the full term.  Students may drop courses through the end of the seventh day without financial consequence.  Students may drop a class with a $50 late fee through the end of the business day on the 21st calendar day of the term. Courses dropped during this period do not appear on a transcript.

Abbreviated Term Courses: Students may add and drop classes only during specific periods as identified on the posted academic calendar.  Students are encouraged to review these dates in advance as they are limited in scope.

Non-Participation (Academic/Engagement)

The community colleges are required to verify the academic engagement of each student in each registered course by demonstrating “academic attendance” or an “academically-related activity” for Title IV purposes. This must be completed prior to the predetermined census date of each traditional semester, as well as during periods of enrollment shorter than the traditional 15-week semester (i.e., summer terms and other abbreviated terms).

Students who are determined to have not academically engaged in a period of enrollment leading up to census shall be assigned a registration status of “Never Participated (NP)” for each affected course. Students with the NP designation will be dropped from the course(s) they have not participated in and will be assessed a Late Drop Fee of $50 for each affected course as outlined in BOR policy 3.7.  There is no appeal of late fees for an “NP” status.

Withdrawing from Courses

Sometimes, during a term, a student must step out of a class without completing the content work.  In such cases, a student may change their status from “registered” to “withdrawn”.  When a student does this, a “W” grade is posted on the transcript.  There is no financial refund to the student in such cases.

Specific dates within a semester and module courses in which a student may withdraw are posted on the academic calendar.   Students are encouraged to review and be aware of these dates.  The academic calendar can be found at: www.trcc.commnet.edu.

Please note that during the Traditional Fall/Spring Semester Courses:  No course withdrawals will be accepted once 80% of the semester has passed. For a typical 15- week term, 80% of the term is considered the last day of the twelfth week of the term.  A student may appeal the course withdrawal deadline only due to mitigating circumstances.  Such an appeal must be directed to the Academic Affairs Office for consideration.

For any student that receives financial aid, it is important that the student understand the repercussions of withdrawing from a course as it may impact the aid awarded.  Students are encouraged to speak with a financial aid counselor prior to withdrawing from a course.

For courses offered in Abbreviated Terms (summer, winter, late start courses, etc.):  No course withdrawals will be accepted once 80% of the abbreviated term has passed. For abbreviated terms, 80% is considered the last day of the business week of that period. As stated above, a student may appeal the course withdrawal deadline only due to mitigating circumstances via the Academic Affairs Office.

All withdrawal dates are included in the academic calendar for students to review.

Note: financial aid students who withdraw from summer courses subsequently to 20% of the abbreviated term having elapsed but prior to the summer financial aid census date may be charged 100% of tuition and fees for those courses with no corresponding/offsetting summer financial aid disbursement.

For more information on refunds of tuition and fees click here.

Registration between Connecticut Community Colleges 

The Connecticut Community Colleges and the State Universities have adopted a coordinated policy that may broaden the student’s education at a reduced total cost to the student.

  • Full-time students (those paying maximum General Fund tuition) in one Connecticut Community College, Connecticut State University, or the University of Connecticut (“Home College”) may enroll for courses at another Connecticut College (“Host College”) tuition free; if the Home College does not offer the course, and if space is available at the Host College offering the course.  At Three Rivers Community College, cross-registration begins two weeks before the first day of the semester, as defined on the Academic Calendar.
  • A student wishing to enroll in a Host College course must complete a Three Rivers Application for Admission and present a receipt at registration to show that the maximum full-time tuition was paid at the Home College.  Cross-registration does not apply to self-supporting courses (courses offered by the College without financial assistance from the government) taken in the summer session and winter intersessions.

Summer & Winter Intersession Registration 

Summer and winter intersession courses are offered at the Educational Extension Credit Program tuition rate.  These course offerings provide an opportunity for students to be flexible in their scheduling for the year which affords the opportunity to supplement individual progress toward degree completion.  Summer and winter intersession courses generally require self-support because of the intensified (shortened) schedule.   A student can enroll for a first time in either of these terms so long as they adhere to the admissions and registration deadlines as outlined on the Academic Calendar.